Although we may receive free samples or commissions on some sales, our opinions are always our own.
I’ve been looking for the perfect chocolate cupcake recipe to pair with red wine and after testing and combining a few different recipes, I finally came up with one that I love. Behold the Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cupcakes!
(If you don’t print the recipe today, be sure to at least Pin it so that you can find it later!)
I don’t think I have ever had a wine and chocolate that paired better together. Because I served the cupcakes with the same wine I used in the cupcakes (one of the wines from my WSJ Wine Club shipment), they were a perfect match. There is not too much wine in the cupcakes, so the taste is subtle but then enhanced when you have the wine with it. I also included a few of the dark chocolate pieces on the plate with the wine and cupcake and that added to the dessert even more.
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (or 2 oz dark chocolate broken into small pieces)
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 1 stick butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup plus ⅛ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup red wine (Chianti or Shiraz work best)
- ½ C butter, room temperature
- Salt, pinch
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 2½-3 C confectioner's sugar
- 1 T vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin tin with liners and spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium heatproof bowl, combine cocoa powder and dark chocolate pieces/chips. Whisk in the boiling water until it’s all melted.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Beat in each egg one at a time until blended.
- Sift in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Alternate adding some of the chocolate to the mixture, then some of the wine, until all of it is blended.
- Fill muffin tins at least half full.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- Beat the butter with the salt until it’s fluffy.
- Add the cream cheese and continue beating until combined.
- Add the vanilla and blend.
- Add confectioner's sugar half a cup at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
Do you have a favorite dessert recipe that pairs well with wine? Is there one you would like us to try for you?